Tuesday, August 05, 2008

I think they grow overnight

As the husband mentioned so eloquently in his last post, my mom kept the kids overnight for us on Friday. We haven't spent a night alone together since Thanksgiving, when we begged my mom to keep them so we could head out at four in the morning to shop on Black Friday. Let this be a lesson for those who want multiple children: it makes finding free childcare difficult.

We had more fun than two parents of three in their 30's and almost 30 should have. There was eating a restaurant that little people aren't even allowed into. There was Velveeta cheese dip with tuna (I gagged while typing that) and lots of laughing until someone (okay, me) almost peed her pants. And when we finally were done, spent, so tired we could barely walk, we dragged ourselves home and into bed and fell asleep. There was no staticky baby monitor in the background, no tip-toeing, just crawling into bed and crashing. It was lovely.

We slept in. With no one to feed breakfast to, no diapers, just sleep. Until 9:30. Yeah. It was all the sleeping in we could muster. We're so used to getting up early, that even being up until 3:00 AM the night before couldn't make us sleep until noon. Who needs more than six hours of sleep? THE WEAK, THAT'S WHO.

After we ate a leisurely breakfast together, we went to fetch our babies. They were glowing happiness, having been spoiled rotten by grandma and grandpa. We listened as my mom told us how sweet and behaved they were and how much fun she had had with them in the eighteen hours we were gone.

I watched them playing in the front yard, chasing and laughing, still on a grandparent's house high, feeling refreshed and calmer than I had in a long time. So when Big D ran up to me, pink-cheeked and grinning, and asked, "Did you miss us? Did you?" I could honestly say that yes, I had.

4 comments:

ALF said...

Sounds like so much fun!

Found your site from dooce - just wanted to say hi.

Anonymous said...

i normally don't read through an entire blog in one sitting, but something caught my attention and i couldn't stop. i love your blog. i found it through dooce (to be completely honest, i clicked on your comment only because i wondered who in the hell could possibly think that that baby was cute...sorry..this makes me sound really mean...i should keep things like this to myself..)anyway, i think you're a great writer and i'm adding you to my rss feed. thanks!

Kelly said...

Hi to both of you!

And Maren, thanks for commenting. It's good to know when someone likes what you've written.

And come on...that baby IS cute. In a goofy, fuzzy headed baby way. Or maybe I just have a soft spot for the goofy fuzzy headed?

Anyway, welcome. :)

maren said...

haha...yes, i did feel really guilty after the baby comment...maybe because i have 3 of my own fuzzy-headed little ones. so, please disregard that part. :)

 
designed by suckmylolly.com