Thursday, June 26, 2008

Customer of the Day

A middle-aged couple stopped in last night, one of the busiest nights I've witnessed since around the holidays. I took their orders, and as I handed their finished drinks to them, the man said, "There are a bunch of kids sitting outside, talking on their cell phones."

"Oookay," I replied, waiting for the big revelation like, ...and they're being loud or ...and they're throwing spitballs or ...and they're humping like crazed rabbits on the tabletops.

I stared at them dully, clearly not understanding what the problem was. The woman stepped up and whispered, "They're like, loitering." And her husband gave me a knowing, solemn nod.

I somehow refrained from screaming and foaming at the mouth at them.

HELLO? It's a coffee shop, people. It's the whole purpose of a damn coffee shop. To get a coffee and then loiter about. There isn't a time limit, and as long as the kids are being polite and orderly, I can't make them leave! It was a lovely night, and I'm sure you wanted to sit outside and enjoy your mocha choco latta ya ya while you talked stocks and bonds and played old people footsie with each other, but seats are a first-come, first serve basis here. You know, how like most places in the fucking free world are.

No, I didn't scream that. I wanted to. What I really did was blink a couple of times and say, "Oh. Oookay. I see."

They looked slightly annoyed with the whole situation, but they grabbed their drinks and left, walking past the thugs sitting out on the patio, who were probably texting Satan himself while guzzling white mochas.

Fuckin' kids.

3 comments:

People in the Sun said...

It's a slippery slope. It starts with an innocent standing around, but soon enough, when that doesn't make them happy anymore... they might turn to skateboarding!

Anonymous said...

*gasp* You mean teenagers were actually talking on their cellphones?!?! We can't have that now, can we? LOL...I guess that older couple forgot what it's like to be young. I mean I'm sure they didn't have cell phones but I'm guessing that they probably did things that annoyed people when they were young...

Anonymous said...

It could lead to dancing...

and when they put the sign up on the door that says "we're going out of business because a Starbucks opened up in town" they'll never wonder if their own attitude could have had something to do with it.

Roxy

P.S. -- You've got my Friday afternoon Battle of the Blogs vote.

 
designed by suckmylolly.com